October is breast cancer awareness month, an annual campaign to raise awareness of the disease and to raise funds for research, prevention, diagnosis, treatment and cure. This month, we highlight our LA Health Services (DHS) team of Medical Case Workers who provide exceptional navigation support to our breast cancer patients.
In May of 2022, DHS launched an enterprise-wide Cancer Navigation program to improve access, equity, and standardization of cancer care services. The new program strengthens cancer-care coordination to assure that patients’ needs are met in a timely manner. The program consists of medical specialists, medical caseworkers, social workers, and administrators to provide highly skilled and experienced navigation teams, standardized clinical roadmaps, and effective treatments for all types of cancers.
Since the launch of the program, the navigation team has received 230 new breast cancer navigation referrals. Our navigators have supported these patients by:
- Providing guidance and education to help the patient understand their diagnosis and treatment.
- Communicating with the patient’s medical team about any questions or concerns they might have during their treatment.
- Assisting in coordinating and scheduling medical appointments.
- Assisting with transportation concerns, financial issues, insurance questions, disability applications, caregiver support, and much more.
- Linking patients to support groups and clinical social work services.
Their collective efforts offer tremendous benefit to breast cancer patients, their families, and DHS. We are so proud of your dedication to your jobs, and the kindness you give!
If you have any question about the DHS Cancer Navigation program, please contact Bahar Basseri at firstname.lastname@example.org