Know Your Testing Options
As we enter a less turbulent phase of the pandemic, LA County is now moving COVID-19 testing beyond crisis mode and into our standard health care services. Here’s what you should know:
If you have health insurance, best option is to contact your doctor or health plan to get tested. Doctors and health plans are responsible for providing free out of pocket COVID-19 testing to patients assigned to them.
If your employer or school requires a test, go through your job or educational facility to get tested.
If you don’t have health insurance, you can get a free COVID-19 test at the participating locations listed at
Antigen testing kits are widely available at county libraries, community-based organizations and other participating locations.
For more info visit: ph.lacounty.gov/covidtests/how
Testing is currently recommended, regardless of vaccination, if you:
- Have COVID-19 symptoms
- Have been a “close contact” to someone with COVID-19 within the last 14 days *If you have had a positive test for COVID-19 in the last 90 days, you do not need to get tested as long as you do not have symptoms of COVID-19.
- Are returning from international travel, even if you are fully vaccinated
- Are part of an outbreak investigation
If you live or work in a place where other people have been diagnosed with COVID-19, you may need to be tested, even if you are fully vaccinated or had COVID-19 in the past.
- Are NOT fully vaccinated and
- Work or study in a place where COVID-19 vaccination or regular testing is required
- Participate in organized youth sports, including school sports teams.
- Are a teacher or student in school
- Traveled outside of California (within the United States). Testing is recommended 1-3 days before and 3-5 days after travel. See Travel Advisory
For more information, visit the COVID-19 Testing page on the LA County Department of Public Health website.
**** As the holidays approach, LA County offers guidelines on how to stay safe while spending time with loved ones. Click here: http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/holidays.htm