The Quality and Productivity Commission held its 35th annual Productivity and Quality Awards celebration on October 12, 2022 at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion. The theme this year was Adapt, Create, Achieve in recognition of the extraordinary ways in which County Departments adapted their work and service delivery practices to continue meeting the needs of the communities throughout the pandemic.
The Department of Health Services (LA Health Services) was well represented in the awards ceremony. Dr. Christina Ghaly received the Chair Leadership Award for Department Heads. Each year, the Commission recognizes a leader within the County. This individual is a Department Head who leads by example and carries out the mission and vision of their organization. The Commission Chair Leadership Award goes to a Department Director who promotes innovation, efficiency, accountability, and integrity in all aspects of the department.
Keisha Belmaster, the Productivity Manager from Harbor-UCLA Medical Center was presented with the Productivity Managers’ Network (PMN) Award. Selection of the “Productivity Manager of the Year” is based on the Productivity Manager’s participation in the Commission’s programs, promotion of quality and productivity within the Productivity Managers’ respective department, as well as across the County, and demonstrated leadership and active participation within the PMN.
LA Health Services received recognition for projects led by Health Services staff and for projects where Health Services served as a collaborator.
The highest award, the Gold Eagle was awarded to:
- “Over 2 Million Served” – led by the Department of Public Health with 211 LA, Aging and Disabilities Department, Children and Family Services, City of Los Angeles, Consumer and Business Affairs, Economic Opportunity, Human Resources, Health Services, Internal Services Department, LA County Library, and Mental Health
The second highest award, the Silver Eagle was awarded to:
- “L.A. County Probation Invest Program” led by Probation with Economic Opportunity
The third highest award, the Bronze Eagle was awarded to two projects.
- “Pomona Fairplex Emergency Intake Site” led by Health Services (Olive View-UCLA Medical Center) with First Supervisorial District, Chief Executive Office (OEM), Children and Family Services, Consumer and Business Affairs (OIA), County Counsel, Mental Health, and Public Health
- “Child Trafficking ID and Response Team” led by Probation with First and Fifth Supervisorial Districts and Children and Family Services
The DHS Projects where DHS is the lead are:
- Special Merit Plaque Awards: distinguishes meritorious accomplishment of special projects or programs that successfully fulfill departmental and County objectives.
- “Improving Access to Specialty Care in GI at OVMC” – Health Services Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, Department of Medicine
- “SPINE: Spine Instrument Negotiation of Expense” – Health Services Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center and Supply Chain Value Analytics Teams with Internal Services Department
- “Keeping County Employees Safe During Covid-19” – Human Resources with Beaches and Harbors, Chief Executive Office, County Counsel, Health Services, District Attorney, LA County Library, Public Health, Public Social Services, Public Works, and Registrar-Recorder/County Clerk
- Traditional Plaque Award: recognizes commendable achievements in public service.
- “Meaningful Access: ACN Video Remote Interpreting” – Health Services Office of Language Access and Inclusion
- The Maternal Mental Health Collaborative – Mental Health with Health Services
- Certificates of Recognition: Pays tribute to those programs deserving honorable mention:
- “Integrated Care for Optimized Well Being” – Health Services
- “Take Me to Your Leader!” – Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center – Department of Nursing
- “RN HOME: Remote Nursing Hypertension Management” – Population Health Management
- “Pharmacists Improving IV Nutrition Safety” – Olive View-UCLA Medical Center Pharmacy
- “Laboratory Frees RCTs to Focus on COVID Patients” – Olive View-UCLA Medical Center, Department of Pathology
- “DHS IT COVID Support Response Project” – Information Systems
- “Don’t Get Stuck – Stay in the Safe Zone!” – Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center – Surgery Department
Projects where DHS is a Collaborator:
- County Image Enhancement Award: “Arrive Alive ECMO-CPR Project” – Fire with Health Services
- Community Inclusion Award: “Black Doulas Fostering Health and Joyous Birth” – Public Health with First 5 LA and Health Services
- Customer Service Award: “Public Appointment Scheduling System (PASS)” – Internal Services Department with Health Services and Public Health
Congratulations to all the winners!
The program and videos of the event can be viewed here.