Who We Are
The origin of LAC+USC Medical Center dates to 1878, when the County of Los Angeles opened a 100-bed hospital on Mission Road to care for Los Angeles indigent population. The County affiliated with the University of Southern California (USC) Medical School in 1885 for the provision of care.
On December 7, 1930, Hollywood actress Mary Pickford dedicated the 8-ton cornerstone for a modern Los Angeles County General Hospital on State Street. The 1 million-square-foot concrete building opened in 1933 and remained a beacon for high quality health care for 75 years. In 1968, the Board of Supervisors voted to rename the hospital LAC+USC Medical Center to reflect its academic partnership.
Today LAC+USC is a world-class teaching hospital, Level-One trauma center, and hub in the County-run healthcare system serving 10 million residents. The hospital is a training site for the U.S. Navy and more than 900 physicians completing their Graduate Medical Education in nearly every medical specialty and subspecialty.
Following damage to the historic hospital building from a 1994 earthquake, a 600-bed replacement hospital opened in 2008. The general hospital building is a registered historic landmark and now houses a Wellness Center offering a variety of health resources to community residents.
LAC+USC Medical Center does not restrict, limit, or otherwise deny admission to our facility, clinical care, visitation privileges, or employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, ethnicity, language, culture, size, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, socioeconomic status, physical or mental ability or disability.
MISSION AND VISION
To provide world-class care and education for all in our community.
To lead the nation in building healthy communities.
Teamwork, Accountable, Trust, Compassion