Rancho’s experienced Admissions team includes a physician and registered nurses. They are responsible for assessing the medical and therapy needs of people who have been referred to Rancho. The nurses speak with patients and family, consult with healthcare providers, and review medical documentation to come to a decision.
The Admissions team considers these criteria in a rehab candidate:
- Medical stability. A safe transition to a rehab program requires that critical medical issues have been managed and are under control.
- Willingness and ability to participate in a 3 hours per day, 15 hours per week rehab program. “Participation” can be physical or it may be learning. A person may not be able to speak, hear, see, walk, or move yet can participate and learn.
- Family/Support team. Their participation, education, and training are often the key to a successful rehabilitation program.
- Potential for significant improvement and/or learning within a reasonable amount of time.
- Sufficient support post-discharge. Support necessary to maintain rehab gains in a safe and appropriate discharge setting – ideally home.