Here is some key information that you may want to share with staff and patients.
Information about the Omicron Variant:
- The Omicron variant is spreading faster than the Delta variant. It is now the most common variant of new cases in the U.S. It is responsible for almost three-quarters of new cases.
- Vaccines are still very effective at making sure people with COVID-19 do not go to the hospital.
- Full vaccination is 30-40% effective against Omicron. Full vaccination with a booster raises protection to 70-75% effectiveness.
- Natural immunity from past COVID-19 infection does not protect well against Omicron. The risk of getting COVID-19 again is five times as high as with other variants.
What to Do to Protect Yourself and Your Loved Ones:
We all need to do our part to slow the spread of COVID-19 as the weather gets colder and the Omicron variant spreads.
- Get vaccinated as soon as possible. The best vaccines to protect against COVID-19 are the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines.
- Wear a mask. Masks are required at indoor public places across the state of California.
- Getting any COVID-19 vaccine is better than remaining unvaccinated.
- If you are fully vaccinated, get a booster as soon as possible. Boosters help protect against the Omicron variant. Visit VaccinateLACounty.com or VacunateLosAngeles.com to find a vaccine site near you.
- Stay home if you are sick. Slow the spread of COVID-19, the flu, and the common cold by staying away from others when you are sick. Do not travel if you are feeling symptoms.
- Follow holiday safety guidelines. To learn more, check out this video.
How to Get Tested:
- LA County expanded the LA County Home Test Collection program, which is now available to anyone in the County who is symptomatic or has been exposed to COVID.
- Testing is available in your neighborhood at churches, parks, and other locations near you. Testing sites are very busy this winter, so appointments are highly encouraged. Find a site near you at covid19.lacounty.gov/testing.
Holiday Safety Resources: