Within Los Angeles County, primary care providers utilize eConsult to securely share health information and consult electronically with County specialists for timely, coordinated specialty care services. The collaborative networking abilities have proven to be an integral part of providing healthcare for MHLA participants allowing our CPs to coordinate care and provide the best possible health outcomes for our program participants.
MHLA encourages CP clinicians to explore the full library of Expected Practices (EPs) within the eConsult system. Expected Practices describe the expected approach to a medical condition and should help both the primary care provider and the specialist. They are created by specialists and primary providers on DHS specialty workgroups. The Expected Practices are guided by clinical evidence and real-life practice conditions and help ensure equitable care. The guidance can be used by the primary care providers in assessing the patient, determining what steps can be taken prior to submitting an eConsult and understanding how DHS specialists are making decisions about care.
The DHS Expected Practices can be found by clicking a link in the box in the upper left of the eConsult homepage. The link is called “Clinical Library & Homepages”. You can also find links in the portal homepages when submitting an eConsult.
Here are some of the top EPs accessed by CPs as of February 2022:
- Endocrinology – Hyperthyroidism
- Infectious Disease – Latent Tuberculosis (TB) Infection
- Gastroenterology – Dyspepsia
- Nephrology – Chronic Kidney Disease and Metabolic Bone Disease
- Hepatology – Cirrhosis
- Nephrology – Diabetic Kidney Disease
- Gastroenterology and Hematology – Iron Deficiency Anemia
- Otolaryngology – Tinnitus
- Podiatry – Ingrown Toenail
- Women’s Health – Abnormal Uterine Bleeding in the Premenopausal Patient
- Diabetes – Oral Antidiabetic Medication Initiation and Adjustments
- Hematology – Anemia
- Gastroenterology and Surgery – Gallstones