The Office of Graduate Medical Education (GME)
The Office of Graduate Medical Education at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center primarily serves the educational, administrative, emotional and accreditation needs of its Trainees. Under the leadership of Darrell W. Harrington, M.D., Director of GME and Designated Institutional Official, the offices provide support and oversight for more than 500 trainees in fifty-one of its sponsored residency and fellowship programs.
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center has provided high-quality, cost-effective health care to insured and uninsured residents of Los Angeles County for more than half a century. As the only Level 1 Trauma Center in the area with a broad range of both surgical and medical specialties, the Hospital provides care for a diverse and challenging population. That same population provides the rich foundation for our competitive and innovative training programs. Education at all levels and venues emphasizes problem solving in the context excellent patient care and safety, ethical concerns, prevention, and scientific inquiry.
The Institution has enjoyed a strong and collaborative relationship with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA since 1951. Harbor-UCLA Medical Center employs approximately 300 full-time faculty physicians – all with teaching appointments at the David Geffen School of Medicine, 120 part-time faculty, and over 350 volunteer faculty physicians.
The collaboration and integration of outstanding clinical care, applied research and discovery, committed faculty, and a diverse patient population make Harbor-UCLA Medical Center and ideal training institution. With both a national and international reputation as a premier teaching hospital and research institution, Harbor-UCLA attracts hundreds of top medical school graduates from across the nation each year.
Responsibilities of the GME Office include:
- Provides oversight and execution of the hiring process for all trainees including verification of training and other credentialing required for hire and ongoing training
- Provides both direct and indirect ongoing support related to human resources for all trainees
- Ensures the quality of the GME learning and working environment within the Sponsoring Institution
- Organizes and conducts new resident and fellow orientation
- Provides oversight of all training programs to ensure adherence to accreditation standards
- Conducts routine surveys of all trainees regarding both program quality and the learning environment
- Oversees all trainee disciplinary, grievance or due process actions
- Prepares and monitors all affiliation and education agreements for GME programs. Reconciliation of resident assignments related to these agreements forms the basis for the MediCare Cost Reports
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Office of Graduate Medical Education
1000 W. Carson Street, Box #2
Torrance, CA 90509
Darrell W. Harrington, M.D., FACP
Director of GME and Designated Institutional Official
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center
Professor of Medicine
David Geffen School of Medicine